Guys. This West Indies inspired dish called out to my soul today. It has all of my favorite fresh flavors: grapefruit, lime, mint, cilantro, and coconut milk. Truth be told, I LOVE putting a little bit of coconut milk into my rice. It gives it a nice creamy texture and it’s way less boring than regular rice with salt and pepper. Also lets be honest, who doesn’t like coconut!? Sadists’, that’s who (joking).
But back to the business here on recent events. Joe Biden was elected our 46th President, with the amazing Kamala Harris as his V.P. (insert fan girl crowd cheers).
I’m happy to announce the United States has a different hue of citrus these days, and baby it’s PINK!
So to honor my fellow drugaricas, I’m making something a little special tonight. Why you ask? Because honestly, it’s a pretty nice feeling knowing we’ll have allies at the top who actually know what it’s like to be a female. The fantastic squad of women in Biden’s role call have worked pretty hard putting their best feet forward raising families, gaining respect and confidence from political peers and basically being bad ass chics.
Tonight I’ll be using a classic flavor of the season, grapefruit. Here’s to shattering glass ceilings ladies. Enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 1 can lite coconut milk (don’t use full fat, it will be too thick)
- 1 cup white or brown rice (I used white basmati)
- salt to taste
Grapefruit glazed chicken:
- 1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (roughly 2 large Grapefruits)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar or regular white sugar
- 1/4 cup Braggs liquid aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2lbs chicken breast (I used 4 breasts from Simple Truth Thin Sliced Chicken Breast)
- Generous squeeze of lime
- grapefruit cut into segments
- purple cabbage slaw
- Preparing the rice: In a medium-large saucepan over medium-high heat add water and coconut milk, rice and bring to boil. Bring temp back down to simmer, cover and allow rice to cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat when done.
- Grapefruit glaze: In medium saucepan over medium heat add freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, honey, sugar, braggs, vinegar, oil, spices and salt. Whisk gently until combined and allow mixture to come to a boil before simmering for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the chicken: Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add some oil to pan and place chicken breast in pan, not overcrowding the pan. Cook chicken about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add chicken to glaze pan, put lid on and allow the chicken to simmer for about another 3 minutes, or until internal temperature has reached 165ºF. Remove from heat.
- Serve chicken with coconut rice and top with fresh cilantro, mint, and purple cabbage slaw.